Latest Lutein Research
1992 – An association between eating foods high in Carotenoids, a high level of Carotenoids inthe blood and a lower incidence of macular degeneration is established. (9) The Nurse’s Health Study reported a high dietary intake of spinach and other greens with high levels of the specific Carotenoids Lutein and Zeaxanthin led to a 27-39% reduced risk of cataract formation. (10)
1993 – Data suggested a reduced risk of neovascular AMD in persons with higher levels of serum Carotenoids. (11)
1994 – Dr. Seddon found that eating foods high in Lutein led to a reduced risk for macular degeneration. (2)
1995 – Dr. Yeum reported Lutein and Zeaxanthin as the only two Carotenoid antioxidants found in the lens and retina. (1)
1997 – Studies were published showing a 30% reduced macular pigment density with AMD and cataracts. A correlation was found between reduced macular pigment density and increased lens density (cataracts) in seniors. (12)(13) With dietary and/or supplemental Lutein, macular pigment density can be increased. (14)
Latest Lutein Study – May 2002
1. KJ Yeum et al. 1995 Investigative Ophthalmology & Visual Science 36:2756-61.
2. JM Seddon et al. 1994 Journal of the American Medical Association 272:1420.
3. F Khachik et al. 1995 Journal of Cellular Biochemistry 22:236-46.
4. LH Zhang et al. 1991 Carcinogenesis 12:2109-14.
5. DM Snodderly 1995 American Journal of Clinical Nutrition 62S:1448S-61S.
6. Chopra et al. 1994 Proc Nutritional Society 53:18A.
7. Goulient et al. 1997 Arterioscleroses Thrombosis Vascular Biology 17:4:786-96.
8. LE Marchand et al. 1995 International Journal of Cancer 63:18-23.
9. Eye Disease Control Study Group 1992 Archives of Ophthalmology 110:1701-8.
10. Hankinson et al. 1992 British Medical Journal 305:335-9.
11. Eye Disease Control Study Group 1993 Archives of Ophthalmology 111:104-9.
12. JT Landrum et al. 1997 Advances in Pharmacology 38:537-56.11
13. BR Hammond, Jr. et al. 1997 Optometry and Vision Science 74:7:499-504.
14. BR Hammond, Jr. et al.1997 Investigative Ophthalmology & Visual Science 38:1795-1801.